The Touch delivers a full haptic experience, with degrees of freedom positional sensing, in a cost effective package.
The Geomagic Touch (formerly Sensable Phantom Omni) is the industry’s most widely deployed professional haptic device. Used in research, 3D modeling, OEM applications and more, Touch allows users to freely sculpt 3D clay, enhance scientific or medical simulations, increase productivity with interactive training, and easily maneuver mechanical components to produce higher quality designs.
Touch is a motorized device that applies force feedback on the user’s hand, allowing them to feel virtual objects and producing true-to-life touch sensations as user manipulates on-screen 3D objects. Leading companies integrate the Geomagic Touch and haptics into their work to achieve compelling solutions using the realistic sense of touch.
Touch can be used in diverse applications, including: simulation, training, skills assessment, rehearsal, virtual assembly, robotic control, collision detection, machine interface design, rehabilitation, mapping and dozens of other applications.
When used with our OpenHaptics toolkit, Touch allows developers to rapidly design and deploy haptic programs, do mash-ups into existing applications, try out new ideas, and create haptically enabled products. Touch is also sold as a component of Geomagic® Freeform® and Geomagic® Claytools® modeling systems.
Geomagic® Touch™ Features
- Portable design and compact footprint
- Compact force feedback workspace
- 6-degree-of-freedom positional sensing
- 3-degree-of-freedom force feedback
- IEEE-1394a FireWire* port interface
- Comfortable molded-rubber stylus with textured paint
- Removable Stylus
- Two integrated momentary stylus switches
- Stylus-docking inkwell
- Ergonomic design
- Supports OpenHaptics toolkit with QuickHaptics micro API
- Made of metal components and injection-molded plastics
- CE certified
Geomagic® Touch™ Haptic Device Specifications
The Geomagic® Touch™ (formerly known as Sensable Phantom Omni) product line of haptic devices makes it possible for users to touch and manipulate virtual objects. The Touch model is the most cost-effective haptic device available today. Portable design, compact footprint, and IEEE-1394a FireWire* port interface ensure quick installation and ease of use.
See the Technical Specifications below or in PDF.
|Force feedback workspace||~6.4 W x 4.8 H x 2.8 D in > 160 W x 120 H x 70 D mm|
|Footprint (Physical area device base occupies on desk)||6 5/8 W x 8 D in ~168 W x 203 D mm|
|Weight (device only)||3 lbs 15 oz|
|Range of motion||Hand movement pivoting at wrist|
|Nominal position resolution||> 450 dpi ~ 0.055 mm|
|Backdrive friction||< 1 oz (0.26 N)|
|Maximum exertable force at nominal (orthogonal arms) position||0.75 lbf (3.3 N)|
|Continuous exertable force (24 hrs)||0.2 lbf (0.88 N)|
|Stiffness||X axis > 7.3 lbs / in (1.26 N / mm)
Y axis > 13.4 lbs / in (2.31 N / mm)
Z axis > 5.9 lbs / in (1.02 N / mm)
|Inertia (apparent mass at tip)||~0.101 lbm (45 g)|
|Force feedback||x, y, z|
|Position sensing [Stylus gimbal]||x, y, z (digital encoders)
[Pitch, roll, yaw (± 5% linearity potentiometers)
|Interface||IEEE-1394 FireWire® port: 6-pin to 6-pin|
|Supported platforms||Intel or AMD-based PCs|
|Applications||Selected Types of Haptic Research, FreeForm®Modeling™system, ClayTools™ system|
* The Geomagic Touch device is IEEE 1394A compliant. However, Geomagic is aware of customers that have experienced performance difficulties with their Touch devices when using controller cards with certain IEEE 1394A chipset, such as NEC, or driver combinations. In these cases, it may be necessary to update or change the 1394 controller card driver or to try a separate add-on 1394 controller cards.
Selected OEMs & System Integrators of Geomagic Haptic Products
Some of the companies that integrate our products into their solutions include:
FiatLux - Molecular Modeling
Gemvision Corporation - Matrix 3D Jewelry Design Software
- Industrial Virtual Reality, Inc - Immersive Touch
Innovative Sports Training - The MotionMonitorTM real-time 3D motion capture system
- Medic Vision - Mediseus Epidural simulator
- mySmartSimulations®, Inc - Interactive Training and Education Solutions for Any Industry
Touch of Life Technologies (ToL-Tech) - ArthroSim diagnostic knee arthroscopy simulator
Yantric - EpiSimTM, LapSim, and Medsim SDK
By integrating Geomagic haptics their solutions offer:
The sense of touch and true 3D navigation
A compelling user experience
A more realistic training experience
A competitive edge
If you are interested in integrating Geomagic haptics into your solutions, please contact us